mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for
the transformation of the Earth."
Who We AreThe Struthers United Methodist Church is a Spirit filled and led ministry focused on the spiritual growth of our members. We practice compassionate outreach to our community, and obedience to God, The Bible and our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe in showing our love for God by serving others in the name of Jesus. We believe in practicing hospitality, and welcome all who love the Lord, or who simply want to learn more about God's love, grace, and His plan for our lives to our church. We seek to make disciples for Jesus Christ. We make disciples as we proclaim the gospel, seek, welcome and gather persons into the body of Christ; lead persons to commit their lives to God through baptism by water and the Spirit, and profession of faith in Jesus Christ; nurture people in Christian living; and send people into the world as servants of Jesus Christ. We hope that you will join us in this mission. Won't you stop by and visit this Sunday? Worship is at 11:00 am.
"A Place To Call Home" A Brief History Of Our ChurchOver one hundred years ago, when Struthers was still a village with a few scattered buildings and Bridge St was just an ash road, a small dedicated group of men and women met a the home of John Mincher to form a Methodist Society. The date was March 23, 1886. Until they raised enough money to build a church, they met on the banks of Yellow Creek Park, in a grove of willow trees. During the winter months, services were held in their homes.
Church in those days was as uncomplicated as life in the community itself.
Lowellville, Coitsville and Struthers shared one pastor. The original congregation consisted of 40 people and they organized the Struthers Methodist Episcopal Church.
From May 1887 until fall of 1890, services were held in a room over Shaffer's store on Main St. When the group outgrew the meeting room, they moved to an abandoned skating rink near the Yellow Creek bridge. The forty who comprised the membership at the time organized the Struthers Methodist Episcopal Church and it was through their efforts that by Jan 1890 a modest church building costing $1,800.00 was built on State St.
By 1900 Struthers became a boom town. Men brought their families from other communities seeking jobs in the steel mills. The rapidly increasing population necessitated the building of a new church.
By Sept 1902, the rapidly increasing membership made the State St building inadequate. In 1909 the lot on which the church is built was purchased and a committee began the task of building a new church.In 1910, the church was incorporated.
The new church was dedicated on July 30, 1911. On this day alone the congregation raised $9200.00 to apply to the debt on the new building. The total cost was $18,081.20
In 1929 the parsonage was built on the neighboring lot. It is still housing for our minister today.
In the early 1930s, the Depression gave the church an opportunity to dispense clothing and food to the needy.
"Struthers Methodist Church" became our official name in June 1940.
In 1968 the Methodist Church joined the Evangelical United Brethren Church. It was then that we adopted the name that is ours today: Struthers United Methodist Church".
Read the more than 100 year extended history of our church here.
United Methodist Church: Constitutional Structure
United Methodist Church: Organization
United Methodist Church: Administration
United Methodist Church: History